Our very own Denise has been baking with August's Tea of the Month, Rhubarb and Cream Tea, to make a delicious Rhubarb Tea Loaf.
- 150ml boiling water
- 3 heaped teaspoons of our Rhubarb and Cream Tea
- 120g soft brown sugar
- 250g mixed dried fruit (we used Whitworths Luxury Mixed Fruit)
- 180g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 2lb/900g loaf tin
- Brew the Rhubarb and Cream Tea in the boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Pour the brewed tea onto the mixed dried fruit (discard the loose leaves) and leave to soak for at least 12 hours.
- Line the loaf tin.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl, then add the eggs and fruit including the tea.
- Mix thoroughly and spoon into the loaf tin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 30 minutes or until the loaf turns a golden brown colour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the loaf tin.
- If you're feeling like a real treat, you could warm up some Rhubarb Compote and 10 minutes before the loaf is ready, take it out of the oven and brush over the top.
- Place the loaf back in the oven for the last 10 minutes.
- Serve with a rhubarb compote or butter.